Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor. This blog should not in any way be used as a substitute for the opinion of a medical professional.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Longest Day and Some Snack Ideas

Thursdays are the longest day of the week for me.  I'm out of the house from 9:00am to 7:30pm with only about 20 minutes around 3:00 for lunch.  Most Thursdays I'd stop at Taco Bell, but I'm planning ahead.  I have just enough time to swing by my house and have a quick lunch, leftovers from last night's dinner.

Planning ahead isn't something all that difficult, it's just something that a person needs to be mindful of.  For me, it's all to easy to slack of in this area.  This week, I've been asking myself the night before, "What am I going to eat tomorrow?"  If I plan it out ahead of time, it's much easier to stick eating the right foods.  If I know I'm going to have a bowl of soup for lunch, then when lunch time comes, I don't have to think about what I'm hungry for at the moment.  This is a great thing, because if I ask myself what I'm hungry for, nine times out of ten I'm going to decided on junk.

Last night I went grocery shopping.  In addition to things for meals, I was really looking for healthy, nutritious, and filling snacks.  Here's what I came up with:


  • pistachios 
  • Quaker Simple Harvest Chewy MultiGrain Granola Bars (chocolate chunk) - these have no HFCS and  are pretty high in fiber and good enough to satisfy a mild sweet-tooth.
  • Kind Bars (packed with fruits and nuts)
  • Rice Works chips- these are a new item at my grocery store and they are really yummy.  They are salty and crunchy and would definitely satisfy a chip craving and they are low on the Glycemic Index which is great for someone who is trying to eat better.
  • I decided to make some of my all time favorite oatmeal banana bread.  I'm going to cook this tonight and will share the recipe then.
  • As always, I will go to the farmer's market on Friday and stock up on fresh, local produce.  It's apple season, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment