Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor. This blog should not in any way be used as a substitute for the opinion of a medical professional.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Walk, Don't Run

I am not a runner.  I used to try to force myself out the door in the morning to run because it was good exercise. Some times, I was really happy that I did.  The endorphins would rush and afterwards I'd feel my legs all tight and toned and be really happy that I got out there and did it.  Other times, I'd feel a twinging pain in my knees or hips and have to stop.

While aerobic exercise isn't necessarily bad for you, a lot of new research is showing that is isn't necessarily the best for you either.  Running with damage your joints over time if you do it long enough.  And joint health is very important for long-term health goals.  Another interesting fact- cultures around the world who live the longest do not regularly engage in aerobic activities.  Rather, they take part in regular, moderate activities, such as gardening/farming, hiking/walking, etc.

Exercise is very important and you need to make some time for it in your life.  But I know there are a lot of people out there who cringe at the idea of going for a run or taking an aerobics class and the good news is: you don't have to do those things to live a healthy, active lifestyle.  But, you do have to do something.  My goal for you, reader, is to figure out what it is you enjoy and will stick to.  Perhaps it's taking your dog Scooter for a walk when you get up in the morning or riding your bike around the neighborhood when you get home from work or going for a hike on the weekends.  Whatever it is, make a commitment to yourself to do it at least 3 times a week and stick to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment